“How can I use Google Maps to get directions from the current location on Android? I have never used Google Maps before so I can’t seem to understand it.”
As a friend of mine who has recently moved from iOS to Android ecosystem asked me this, I realized that there are still a lot of people out there who don’t know how to use Google Maps. Undoubtedly the most popular and best navigation app out there, Google Maps is already used by over a billion people. If you want, you can easily get Google Maps directions from current location to anywhere else. Not just driving, it can also provide walking, cycling, and public transit directions. In this complete guide on Google Maps navigation, I will cover all these points and more.
Presently, Google Maps are used the world over and is considered the best driving directions app for Android. You can just look for any place on the map and get appropriate driving directions. The app will present all the possible options to drive to the designated location with their estimated time of arrival. Once you start the navigation, the route can have 4 shades – red, orange, yellow, and green. Needless to say, red depicts that the route has the most traffic while green is the least congested symbol.
- To learn how to get Google Maps direction from current location on Android/iOS app, just launch the application on your phone first.
- Now, just tap on the search bar and enter the name of the destination location. The application will automatically suggest the relevant options.
- You can just tap on any location to choose it or select the “Directions” feature from here to start navigating. If you want, you can add multiple stops in between by tapping on the “+” icon and adding their location.
- Once the target location is selected, Google Maps will automatically display directions from your current location to it. You can tap on the more options (the three-dot icon from the top) to customize your navigation and select what kind of route you want.
- In the end, just tap on the navigation button at the bottom of the screen to get driving directions to the destination from your current location.
You can start moving in the direction and Google Maps would automatically update your current location on the map. You can now use Google directions in the USA, Canada, India, UK, and almost every major country in the world.
While Google Maps is one of the best driving directions apps for Android, it can also depict routes for walking, cycling, and motorcycles. In some selected cities, you can even get options for transit routes and ride. There is a dedicated option in Google Maps that you can use to get walking directions. It will take care of any detour, construction, dead ends, etc. to give the best walking directions.
Sometimes, there are a few lanes that are not appropriate for driving or when one-sided traffic is there, walking directions are recommended to take. Here’s how you can get walking directions in Google Maps.
- For this, the initial steps are the same as above. That is, you have to launch Google Maps and enter the name of the location you need to visit.
- Once the location is selected, Google Maps would automatically display directions to that place. From various options, just tap on the walking icon that is located with other options like cycling, rides, etc.
- As you would tap on it, the interface will display a dotted-navigation path to the designated place.
- Apart from mobile apps, you can also find the walking direction option while using the Google Maps website on your desktop as well.
Just like walking, you can also use Google Maps to get direction from current location to anywhere else for cycling. The process is pretty similar and you can follow the initial steps to look for any location on Google Maps. After when you have selected a location, it will automatically be loaded on Google with its direction.
Now, right above the map interface, you can see a list of various options for navigation. From here, just tap on the cycling icon (adjacent to the walking icon). Google Maps would automatically look for the best cycling route from your current location to the selected place. You can visit its more options to further customize your route.
In the last few years, Google Maps has developed a lot to even cover public transit routes as well for selected cities. You can visit its dedicated page right here to know whether your city is included in Google’s public transit list or not. Therefore, you can also get Google Maps direction from current location via a public transit using Android/iOS app or its website. Here’s how you can use Google Maps to view and optimize the public transit feature.
- Firstly, just launch Google Maps and look for the target location that you wish to visit. Try to enter a location that is nearby a public transit.
- Once the location is loaded on Maps, tap on the directions icon to get various navigation options. Now, just tap on the Public Transit icon from the list of various directions like walking, cycling, etc.
- Google will automatically look up for the available public transit options and would provide their list with their estimated time and distance.
- To customize this, you can go to the more options feature from the top. Here, you can select what kind of transit you wish to choose like bus, subway, or train and select other options like fewer transfers, less walking, etc.
- Just make the needed selections and tap on the option of your choice to get its detailed results.
In case if the Google Maps directions are not available or working on your phone, then you can consider these quick suggestions:
- Go to your phone’s settings and make sure its location services option is enabled and that Google Maps can access it.
- Your device should be connected to a stable internet connection via a WiFi network or cellular data.
- You can uninstall Google Maps and go to the Play Store to install it again. Alternatively, you can just update Google Maps as well.
- If you want, you can go to your phone’s Settings > Apps > Google Maps and clear its cache and app data from here.
- Launch Google Maps on your device and move your phone in a tilted 8 direction three times to improve its accuracy.
I’m sure that after reading this post, you would be able to use Google Maps to get directions from current location on Android or iPhone pretty easily. Since Google Maps is one of the most trusted navigation and location-based apps out there, it will certainly help you on numerous occasions. You can use it on a daily basis or during an emergency to make sure that you are never lost!
Go ahead and try this guide to get Google Maps directions from current location to destination the way you like and be a pro in no time.