“Which app should I be active on – Grindr, Scruff, or Hornet?”
With the presence of so many LGBT dating apps out there, it can be a tough choice to pick the right platform for anyone. If you also have a question like this and can’t pick between these popular gay dating apps, then you have come to the right place. Although all these apps are used by queer men, they can be pretty different. In this post, I will make an in-depth comparison between Grindr vs Scruff vs Hornet so that you can easily pick the right app for yourself.
To start with, let’s quickly know more about Grindr, Scruff, and Hornet – with their vital details and user base.
Grindr: The go-to gay dating app
Grindr is by far the most popular MSM app on the planet that has over 27 million users. It was launched in 2009 and is presently available in more than 190 countries. It provides a location-based grid to let us know other members of the community nearby. Apart from gay and bisexual men, the app is also used by transgender individuals.
Scruff: A dating app for mature men
Most of the people start using Grindr, but gradually move to Scruff. This is because Grindr has a diverse crowd while Scruff is more dedicated to mature men who are looking for a relationship. The gay dating app was launched in 2010 and has around 15 million users worldwide as of now.
Hornet: A hookup, dating, and social app
Hornet was initially tagged as a “hookup app” that was used by gay and bisexual men to find other men nearby. Although, the app has drastically changed its interface now and has become more social. It is used by more than 25 million users, mostly in countries like Brazil, Russia, Turkey, France, and Taiwan.
To further compare Grindr vs Scruff vs Hornet, let’s get to know their availability for different platforms and app store ratings.
You can use Grindr on devices that are running on Android 4.4+ or iOS 10.0+.
Play Store Download (Rating 3.5): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grindrapp.android&hl=en_IN
App Store Download (Rating 3.9): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/grindr-gay-chat/id319881193
To install Scruff, your devices must be running on Android 4.4+ or iOS 12.2+.
Play Store Download (Rating 4.0): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appspot.scruffapp&hl=en_IN
App Store Download (Rating 4.6): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/scruff-gay-dating-chat/id380015247
Hornet can be installed on devices that run on Android 4.1+ or iOS 12.0+.
Play Store Download (Rating 3.6): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hornet.android&hl=en_IN
App Store Download (Rating 3.3): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hornet-gay-social-network/id462678375
If you have already used these apps or are planning to, then you would notice the following major features in Grindr, Scruff, and Hornet. How to use Grindr?
- Grindr provides a list of profiles that are nearby your location. If you go to any other place, the grid will update with a list of new profiles.
- You can tap on any profile to show interest or directly send a private message.
- Apart from texts and stickers, you can also send photos, videos, location, etc. in your messages.
- A user profile on Grindr can have multiple pictures with numerous details about the individuals.
- To get selective profiles on your grid, you can use its filters and handpick users on the basis of different parameters.
How to use Scruff?
- At first, Scruff looks similar to Grindr with a list of various profiles that are nearby your present location.
- To show interest, you can send a “woof” to the other user or a direct private message. The message can include media content as well.
- Besides that, Scruff has a Match feature that would list various profiles matching your interests. You can select the “Yes”, “No”, and “Ask Later” options for a profile.
- There are also dedicated sections for Scruff Events, Scruff travel community, and so on.
- You can also browse profiles on other locations and further set its filters to get handpicked results.
How to use Hornet?
- On your Hornet radar, you can view thumbnails of various profiles that are nearby your present location.
- You can save a user or directly send them a private message. Apart from your pictures, you can also list various other details about you on your profile.
- The app has an inbuilt “Stories” tab to list various articles that would be of your interest and associated with the LGBT community.
- There is also a dedicated “Places” section in the app to view different sorts of events and places nearby. You can also post updates on your profile for your followers to see.
- You can get insights about your profile, set various filters, and make other changes in your Hornet app settings.
The good thing about Grindr, Scruff, and Hornet is that these apps are available for free. Though, if you want to enjoy their advanced features, then you need to get their premium subscription.
Grindr Unlimited: $29.99 a month
- Use Grindr in stealth mode
- No limit of profile blocking and favorites
- Get up to 600 profiles on your grid
- No in-app ads
- Change your location to other cities
- Send auto-deleted pictures
- Unlimited filters
- Check who viewed your profile
- You can also unsend your pictures
Scruff Pro: $19.99 a month
- Get rid of ads and filter restrictions
- View up to 1000 profiles on your gird
- Save up to 25,000 profiles
- Change your location
- Upload private albums
- Get 4 times more profiles on Scruff Match
- Use the app invisibly
- Detailed profile insights and more filters
Hornet Premium: $9.99 a month
- No in-app ads
- Use the Hornet app anonymously
- Check who viewed your profile
- View unlimited profiles on your grid
- Access its advanced filters
- Unlimited photo and video uploads
- Premium experience and curated content
Well, I would say that each gay dating app has its own pros and cons. These are some of the limitations and advantages of Grindr, Scruff, and Hornet that I observed.
Lastly, I would say that if you have just started dating or are open to possibilities, then Grindr would be a good platform for you. Though, if you are looking for something specific locally, then you can also try Scruff. It will let you have a more curated experience for dating. On the other hand, Hornet is mostly used by people for hookups and has less coverage globally. It is mostly used in countries (like Turkey and Russia) where Grindr is banned.
As you can see, apps like Grindr, Scruff, and Hornet are entirely dependent on our present location. If you are getting bored of looking at the same profiles nearby, then take the assistance of dr.fone – Virtual Location (iOS).
Developed by Wondershare, it will let you spoof the present location of your iPhone without jailbreaking it. You can browse its map and drop the pin anywhere you want. The interface lets us look for a location by its name or exact coordinates. It can also let you simulate your movement between different spots and provides a GPS joystick for realistic movements. In this way, you can unlock new profiles on these apps as many times as you want from the comfort of your home.
I’m sure that this comparison of Grindr vs Scruff vs Hornet must have helped you pick a preferred application. If you are still not sure, then why not try these apps on your own as they are available for free. In this way, you can pick your preferred option between Grindr, Scruff, or Hornet. Also, if you wish to unlock more profiles on these or other dating apps, then just try dr.fone – Virtual Location (iOS) on your iPhone.